I have been a voracious reader my entire life. I prefer science fiction (the “hard” variety, not fantasy), murder mysteries, and spy novels, but I will read anything at all and have so many books there isn’t room for them all so they fill boxes stuffed away in closets. When I was a young man I used to fantasize about being an author but I never acted on it, and then when I was a middle-aged man I was too busy raising kids and coaching soccer to even remember my desire.
As I approached retirement I decided, “why not”? We are in the age of the self-publishing goldrush so I don’t have to curry the favor of the traditional publishing house to be published.
I have been studying the art of storytelling for the past five years and soaking up information about how to self publish. It took me three years, but I finished my first novel!
I have one brother, two daughters, three granddaughters and a grandson, and so many cousins that I can’t count them all since my Dad was a part of a large family (although I am closer to the cousins on my Mother’s side). Unfortunately I am divorced although it was amicable and we get along fine.
Bachelor’s Degree from The University of Texas at Arlington
Minor: Information Systems
I believe that my work background helps in creating believable characters since it is so varied. I have had many different jobs in many different fields, interacting with all kinds of people. I have lived all over America and had numerous accents although now I speak only fluent Texan. I started working when I was 16 and as a young man was footloose and fancy free, changing jobs a lot. Here is the list of my jobs in chronological order. I am pretty sure I missed a couple.
- Potwasher at a cafeteria
- Asst. Mgr. at a “Pie Kitchen”
- Layed tile
- Installed marble on the side of tall buildings
- Mixed concrete
- Night Watchman
- Furniture mover
- Steel Estimator (tall buildings again)
- Trim Carpenter
- Framing Carpenter
- Trophy maker
- Job Pusher on Framing crew
- Life insurance salesman (wince)
- Surveyor for power company
- Draftsman for same
- Programmer for same
- Unix System Administrator for same
- Paperboy (seriously, in my 40s!)
- Unix Engineer for retail company
- Security Administrator for same
- Unix Engineer for telecom company
- Unix Engineer for consulting firm
- DBA for same
- Manager of unix team for same
- Unix Engineer for airline
- Performance Testing Engineer for same